RE: Finding Circular Dependencies

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Finding Circular Dependencies
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:36:36 -0000

On 11 February 2008 04:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Instead of using Perl, how about adding code to Make itself to output
> the data required for visualization by dotty?

  I like that idea.  Given that I'm not as familiar with the code internals as
you probably are, have you got a couple of pointers to help me out with things
like

- when to dump the data ?  (I'm thinking maybe sometime just after all the
makefiles have been remade?)
- what's the name of the struct that holds the dependency data and where's the
head?

  I haven't looked at dot in great depth but it doesn't look like it would be
too hard to come up with simple templates for the output format.  (Extending
that to generate the output as xml and use xslt to transform it into different
kinds of dot scripts with various kinds of pretty-printing will be left as an
exercise for some future reader ...)

    cheers,
      DaveK