RE: GMAKE 3.81 versus 3.80

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: GMAKE 3.81 versus 3.80
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:20:14 +0100

On 10 September 2007 09:17, Bhaskar G wrote:

> gmake 3.81 compiled on windows v/s gmake 3.80 compiler on windows
> I have one problem using gmake 3.81. I have a compiler command line which
> is very big.
>
> I dont get any error if I run the command as is. If I try to store this
> command by doing an echo and redirecting it to a filename then i get any
> error something like:
> Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
> gmake.exe: *** <filename>
>
> The same code works fine if I run gmake 3.80 built for windows.

  There were some changes in quoting/escaping between 3.80 and 3.81 IIRC;
check the NEWS file.  If you can cut down your makefile to a simple testcase,
post it here and we'll see if we can figure out what the relevant change is.

> Any Idea how to reconfigure 3.81 to behave as 3.80

  Well, if you want the *exact* same behaviour, use 3.80 instead of 3.81.

    cheers,
      DaveK