Re: Moved sourcefiles and dependencies, automatic dependencies

From: Kristof Provost
Subject: Re: Moved sourcefiles and dependencies, automatic dependencies
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:19:25 +0200

On 2007-07-31 11:28:06 (+0200), Torsten Mohr <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [for generating the dependencies]
>
> > It there any reason you can't use the full path, or at least the path
> > relative to the root of your project directory?
>
> I also thought about the two possibilities:
>
> 1. have the same folder structure for the dependencies as for the sources
>
> 2. create the dependency names from the source names by replacing
>    path separators with underscores.  This may result in long names.
>

> With 1. i'd expect problems for the rule to create the dependencies like:
>
> $(DEPENDS): depend_dir/%.d : %.c
>
> I think this can't be written like this then, is that right?
>
> Basically, for 2. i'd expect the same problem.
>

> Is that correct?
>
> Is there a workaround?
>
> Is there a better way?
>

> Thanks for any hints,
> Torsten.

I treat my dependency files exactly the same as my object files, so I
keep them in a separate tree. If you prefer to keep your object files in
the source tree I'd just put my dependency files in the source tree too.

I don't have a separate step to create the dependency info either.
Have a look at
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/option,com_smf/Itemid,180/topic,69672.0.html
The final solution is actually quite easy to use and write (Once you
know how it works of course).

Regards,
Kristof