RE: Make dependency option??

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: RE: Make dependency option??
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:13:18 +0200

Hi Geraldin,

> Is there an option in make to check dependency for header files.
> The problem we are facing right now is when we give a make it
> just checks the dependencies for the cpp or c files whereas
> it does not check the dependencies for the header
> files.However a make should be having the option to check the
> depencencies for cpp files as well as header files before it
> compiles.Because of this when a header file is changed the
> make does not rebuild the associated cpp file again.But when
> a cpp file is changed it rebuilds it.

Check Paul's site
    http://make.paulandlesley.org/
and page:
    http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html

I'm using the mechanism described there and it's working nicely. I did have
to write a separate script/batch-file to parse the preprocessor output (to
retrieve the included header files) because our compiler does not support an
option to generate dependency information. If you're using *nix you probably
already have the tools you need; when you're using *dows you might want to
have a look at tools like Cygwin, GNUWin32 and MinGW to do the trick. Check
your compiler options for more info.

Good luck!
Joost Leeuwesteijn

---

This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please return this email to the sender and delete it from
your records.

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Sollten Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger dieser E-mail sein, senden Sie bitte diese an den
Absender zurück und löschen Sie die E-mail aus Ihrem System.