RE: variable value lost with "include" directive

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: RE: variable value lost with "include" directive
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:14:51 +0200

> I am having something like below:
> $pwd/Makefile:
> VPATH:= ./foo:./boo
> include ../../bin/Makefile
> and in ../../bin/Makefile:
> VPATH+=../include
> target1:include_file1 file_from_directory_foo file_from_directory_boo
> <TAB>gcc $^
> When I attempt running in $pwd
> %gmake target_1
>
> It complains about include_file not found.

Who/what complains about "include_file/include_file1 not found"? Make or the
compiler? You should also add a search path to the compiler flags (-I ...);
VPATH doesn't do that.
Make only checks if files are up to date, but the compiler also needs to
find the include file in order to compile target_1/target1.

You also might want to use $< instead of $^. Check the manual for the
difference.

Check chapter 4.4.1 and 4.4.4 (manual version 3.81, april 2006) again for
more info/examples.

Regards,
Joost Leeuwesteijn

---

This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please return this email to the sender and delete it from
your records.

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Sollten Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger dieser E-mail sein, senden Sie bitte diese an den
Absender zurück und löschen Sie die E-mail aus Ihrem System.