Re: set a variable with existance of a file?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: set a variable with existance of a file?
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 18:21:40 -0600

On 10/2/06, William Deegan <address@hidden> wrote:
I want to set a make variable with the existance of a file?

(I'm not sure why you have a question mark on that...)

I have a Make variable SRC which points to the base of my source
tree. I want to see if a file $(SRC)/new_gcc exists
If it exists I would like to set a variable with a different value.

The $(wildcard) built-in function will only return the actual
filenames that exist that match the supplied patterns, even if an
argument doesn't have any globbing characters like '*' or '?'.  So,
   $(wildcard filename)
will expand to nothing if 'filename' doesn't exist.

Ergo, to do this:

if no new_gcc

you write this:
  ifeq ($(wildcard ${SRC}/new_gcc),)