Re: about :: sign and % sign problems

From: Lin George
Subject: Re: about :: sign and % sign problems
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:41:13 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much John!

What means "::" (I read related parts from GNU make and still confused)? What is the difference between "::" and ":"?

> if there was
> a command after the ; it would be executed when this rule ran).

Another question, ";" means do nothing, why sometimes we still add some commands after ;? (I mean, if do nothing, we should not add any commands after ";").

have a good day,
George
John Graham-Cumming <address@hidden> wrote:
Lin George wrote:

Means: in order to build any file (that's what the % matches) from the
prerequisites $(Foo) do nothing (that's what the ; means---if there was
a command after the ; it would be executed when this rule ran).

> %.test :: ;

In order to build anything that ends .test do nothing.

John.