about :: sign and % sign problems

From: Lin George
Subject: about :: sign and % sign problems
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 05:23:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I have read through GNU Makefile manual related parts dealing with the description of sign "::" -- but after reading it, it makes me more confused. :-)

So, could anyone show me a simple example of what means "::"? Or give an explanation of the following simple samples?

What makes me confused is the sign '%' and ":: ;" string.

Example 1:

Example 2:

%.test :: ;

What do they mean?