Re: Macro/Template for Code Compilation

From: William Ahern
Subject: Re: Macro/Template for Code Compilation
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:09:56 -0800

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 02:47 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2006-3-16 23:31 UTC, William Ahern wrote:
> > Does anybody have a macro or template that does code testing?
> > I.e., for header detection, etc?
>
> I'm not sure what "header detection" means--for instance, are
> you looking for code that sees 'fprintf' and then checks for
> '#include <stdio.h>'? I use a rule with a command like this:
>   gcc -x c -w -O0 -fsyntax-only $<
> which wouldn't seem very useful for '.c' files that you're
> going to compile anyway, but does tell me whether '.h' files
> could stand alone.
>
> It would help to have concrete descriptions of the kinds of
> code testing you want to perform.

Ah yes. Sorry. I was thinking more along the lines of how autoconf
accomplishes platform feature detection, where it writes out a cnippet
of code to see if it compiles properly, and if so then determines the
feature to be supported.

For instance, detecting the presence of fparseln(), or whether libutil
is linkable. I didn't see any "tried and tested" code in the GMSL.

Preferably employing only portable cc(1) arguments.

I'm trying to get away from autoconf entirely. I've pretty well mastered
the art of non-recursive [GNU] make. Took at shot at making it work on
BSD make; it's not there yet. Now I'm looking toward conditional source
compilation.

--
William Ahern <address@hidden>

This message was scanned for Spam, Spyware and Viruses
For more information, please visit:
http://www.barracudanetworks.com