How to preserve $-containing terms in an expanded variable (with call)?

From: Dimitry Golubovsky
Subject: How to preserve $-containing terms in an expanded variable (with call)?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:00:24 -0500

I am puzzled at the following problem I cannot solve.

I need to create a variable to use with "call", which after
substitution of all parameters must still contain something with
dollar-sign.

Namely, the $(call myvar,foo) must expand into:

awk '$0 != foo { ... }'

where $0 is in the awk sense (i. e. whole line read from the input).

I tried to define myvar like this:

myvar = awk '$$0 != $(0) { .... }'

this does not work: $$0 expands to /bin/sh i. e. shell's $0, not awk's

$$$0 expands into nothing, and $$$$0 expands into some number which
makes no sense.

How can I preserve a dollar sign so it does not expand any more while
keeping other $-constructs expanding as required?

I use:

bash$ make --version
GNU Make 3.80

Thanks for any ideas.