Re: profiling, what takes so long?

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: profiling, what takes so long?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:28:22 +0000

Johan Bezem writes:
I had this situation about 2 years ago, using Cygwin on windows, and CC dynamic views.
Since both were mandatory parts of the project, I had to find sth else.
FWIW: Make sure that intermediate files, temp directories and such definitely are created on a local drive. If you treat a dynamic view as read-only, the impact is far smaller, so split the source and object trees. And if you can, use snapshot views.

Dynamic views (particularly if read/write) are the whole point of using Clearcase in the first place, they are what make it powerful. However in exchange for that power you have terrible performance. Each stat() requires a lookup, over a network link, on the CC server. Snapshot views are just like souped-up CVS. As others have said, tmp directories (or gcc -pipe) located locally are an important way to improve performance. However, if you are serious about using Clearcase then you can use Clearmake. It is mostly compatible with the core GNU Make syntax, but it works around the performance problems by avoiding builds in the first place - if you or someone else has built a file before using the same source elements then it avoids rebuilding it. It's kind of like a very clever "ccache". Brendan