Re: profiling, what takes so long?

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: profiling, what takes so long?
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:14:40 +0000

Torsten Mohr wrote:
Hi,

for a project in the office i wrote a Makefile.  There we
use ClearCase for version control.  We can get a copy of
the project to the local hard drive, then the Makfile
works quite fast and without problems.

We can also get a faked network drive from ClearCase with
the project files in it.  Both have the same directory
structure.

When we try to compile the sources on the faked network
drive, everything takes so incredibly long.  In that project
previously a quite simple script was used to stupidly compile
all the sources.  People now complain that this worked
better than the Makefile.

The subject is somewhat off topic for this list, but the answer is fairly simple; Clearcase is slow as hell, that's what your problem is. Compare your performance between a snapshot view and a dynamic view, and you will see the overhead imposed.

If you're using Clearcase you should look into Clearmake for build avoidance.