Re: how to suppress the included makefile not found warning?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: how to suppress the included makefile not found warning?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:24:55 -0500

%% David Wuertele <address@hidden> writes:

  Greg> Prefix the 'include' directive with a hyphen.  Of course, when
  Greg> that prevents a warning, any dependency file that gets generated
  Greg> later won't get included later, which might be a problem.

This is not true (or I misunderstood your comment).  Even if you use
-include, make will rebuild the included file if it is out of date, then
re-exec itself.

The difference between include and -include is that even if make can't
figure out how to build the included makefile, it will not complain,
in any circumstances.

  dw> Yes, that's a problem.  Is there any other way to silence it?

No.

In fact if you look at GNU make's Savannah site you'll see this is the
very first open bug, and it's been open for a long time.  I tried once
to fix it but the change broke lots of things.  I think it _can_ be
fixed but it's not as straightforward as it appears: basically make has
to defer generating an error about a missing include until after it's
decided whether the include can be rebuilt.