Re: gmake -j

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: gmake -j
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:32:33 -0500

%% Bharani Ellore <address@hidden> writes:

  be> I am trying to do parallel compile using gnake -j.

  be> Depending on the number of files I have to compile and their
  be> dependencies, sometimes I am getting this error
  be> message.... "waiting for lock".

When reporting problems with software you should _always_ include the
version of the software, the OS and version of the OS you're using, any
unusual build options, etc., and at _least_ the complete error line
verbatim (please cut and paste if possible!), plus usually a few lines
of pertinent context (but not a 5,000 line build log).

However, there is no code in GNU make that will print such a message;
indeed, there is no code in GNU make that will print any message with
the word "lock" in it at all.

This must be generated by some program that GNU make is invoking; maybe
some program (compiler, etc.) that make uses to do its job is licensed
and running multiple copies uses up too many licenses.  Without seeing
the actual message and the commands that preceded it there's little else
I can say.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/