Re: Uninstall make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Uninstall make
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:26:45 -0500

%% "Danie Van der Laan" <address@hidden> writes:

  dvdl> I need to uninstall make urgently from my Unix system.
  dvdl> I'm trying the following command as per the INSTALL file.

  dvdl> $ make distclean

First, note that this command won't uninstall make.  It will just clean
the build tree so that it looks the same way it did when you unpacked
make.

  dvdl> but I get the following responce:

  dvdl> /bin/sh: invalid option -- c
  dvdl> Usage: sh [options] [target] ...
  dvdl> Options:

What!?!?

It looks like somehow you configured make to install as /bin/sh,
overwriting your shell!

Ouch.  That's very bad.  You will need to go find a /bin/sh somewhere
(on your backup disks or install disks or another system on the network)
and copy it over /bin/sh on your system.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/