help-libidn

Re: providing a libidn compatibility API

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: providing a libidn compatibility API
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:24:24 +0100

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:07:39 PM CET Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> Note that there few small changes from the version you submitted in
> gnutls (one which detects non-ascii chars, and another which allows
> XN-- as prefix).

Hi Nikos, hi list,

I am done with coding here (branch 'decode' on jas or rockdaboot) and now
start reviewing/adding your changes. I'll post my comments / questions step by
step.

1. 'XN--' is allowed

2. You return an error on detecting non-ascii chars. I would like to to allow
'mixed' domains, e.g. 'großes.xn--fa-hia.de'. If there are invalid chars
within a punycode label (e.g. 'xn--ü-hia'), we would get IDN2_ENCODING_ERROR
of course. This will be tested from _idn2_punycode_decode.

3. The code of idna_to_unicode_*() differs from the one I provided to GnuTLS.
It does not loop because it uses static arrays. This is because we have a
defined max size for labels and domains. Anything that needs more characters
results currently in IDN2_TOO_BIG_DOMAIN or IDN2_TOO_BIG_LABEL.

Regards, Tim