help-libidn

Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:57:32 +0100

On Donnerstag, 29. Dezember 2016 10:36:10 CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Tim Ruehsen <address@hidden> writes:
> > - git2cl mangles non-ASCII characters (e.g. my family name)
>
> It looks fine here:
>
> 2016-12-28  Tim Rühsen <address@hidden>
>
>         * Makefile.am, gentr46map.c: Remove doublettes from TR46 mapping
>         data

Because your locale charset is iso-8859-... !?

Here it looks like
2016-12-25  Tim R�hsen <address@hidden>

        * debian/control: Add Tim Rühsen to Uploaders

Which is a typical conversion problem from iso to utf-8.
Interestingly, the commit message is ok.

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> > - git2cl has a nice (GNU'ish) output while - as you say -
> > gitlog-to-changelog needs the committer to take care about the message
> > format.
> >
> > If you could fix git2cl, I would be happy with it :-). Maybe the
> > formatting
> > code could go from git2cl into gnulib one day...
>
> Yeah, getting it into gnulib has been the plan, but it isn't copyrighted
> entirely by FSF so it was more complicated.
>
> Maybe we could use your approach wrt generating the file, but use git2cl
> for actually generating it.  Best of both worlds :)

That sounds good.
I just saw you released 0.13, that's a quick move, nice !

I won't have much time in the next days (maybe in the evening), but already
started with further compressing the TR46 tables.

Regards, Tim