help-libidn

Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn2: ChangeLog, bootstrap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:02:55 +0100

Tim Ruehsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> You recently removed the ChangeLog and added a hook into bootstrap.
>
> I just want to mention how wget is doing this:
> - renamed ChangeLog to ChangeLog-2014-12-10
> - added a dist-hook rule into Makefile.am which creates a ChangeLog when
> needed
> (make dist) by merging ChangeLog-2014-12-10 with the new git commit messages.
>
> This allows creating a ChangeLog from git without another external tool -
> just
> with the scripts from gnulib:

Thanks for the hint -- see cfg.mk for how it is done in libidn2, i.e.:

ChangeLog:
        git2cl > ChangeLog

tarball:
        ! git tag -l $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION) | grep $(PACKAGE) > /dev/null
        $(MAKE) ChangeLog distcheck

The idea is that on 'make release', the ChangeLog is re-generated from
git commit logs and will be included in the tarball.  This broke because
ChangeLog had been accidentally been committed at some point.

> You added "vc_files=false" to bootstrap.
> Did you mean "vc_ignore=" ?

I believe so, fixed now.

/Simon