help-libidn

Re: libidn2 build requires network + wget

From: Tim Ruehsen
Subject: Re: libidn2 build requires network + wget
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 12:30:23 +0100

On Monday, December 26, 2016 11:22:30 PM CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Hi Tim.  I released 0.12 and will try to upload to Debian, however I
> suspect it will fail because ./configure+make will attempt to download
> files from the Internet.  Can you think of some way to fix this?  The
> files could be included, or some prepared form of the files could be
> included, in the tarball.  We should also add a checksum test to make
> sure anyone building libidn2 get the files that we expect them to get.

Hi Simon, the release is great news !

Currently, I am learning a lot about Debian packaging from your comments and
your commits after tag libidn2-0.12.

How do you like it to be organized ?
- putting the changes into my 'debian' branch (as patch set), so you can
package based on 0.12.
- or basing those changes onto your current 'master', so they go into 0.13.

Regarding the checksums... those downloaded files should never change upstream,
so a hard-coded checksum should do it (sha1 should be fine).
The caveat here is that recent OSX removed checksumming tools like 'sha1sum'
without replacement. Since we use Perl anyways, we could include a small sha1
Perl script. WDYT ?

Regards, Tim