SV: /dev/kbd ..."not a device file..."

From: sigbj-st
Subject: SV: /dev/kbd ..."not a device file..."
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:59:47 +0100 (CET)

Marco Gerards wrote:

> > (I also noted that this K7 will not accept a linux swap,but that is
> > another question and not so important,in as much this just has to be
> > redone.)
>
> It would be nice if you looked into it and would be able to produce a
> bug report. :)
>
> --
> Marco

By the installation I chose ....'activate a swap partition'.....
On running hurd the reply was....'could not read Linux signature...'
Trying 'swapon -a' the same message appeared
Redoing the installation and choosing ....'initialize and activate a swap
partition......'
the message running hurd appeared as:
.....' /sbin/swapon: /dev/hd2s11:Linux 2,2 swap signature v1, 497976k
swap-space (excludes 8k at end of partition).......
Then the problem probably is solved.......

As to the further installation and running 'install.sh' the message has been
......'unable to initialize frontend kde.........(also if chosing gnome)
So I have some problems here, but I will try to reinstall and choose the other
interface choices and see what eventually works before come back here.......

The proposal below ....'console -d vga' - and so on - just returned a message
that something was not done right on the command line. But I did exactly as
written below. There is no /dev/cons in the /dev directory, none could be made
by MAKEDEV and trying ' -c /dev/console/' instead of ' -c /dev/cons/' gave same
return.

By the reinstallation the  /etc/X11 missed leaving no X-config file, but there
also was a freeze during installation. Rerunning hurd after did not e2fsck the
FS and manually it also failed. Only e2fsck through linux worked. Maybe thats
why everything was cleaned up, including a corrupt /etc/X11.

Do not try to answer all this. Just read it with a cup of coffee -f.ex. Malabar
AA (which is the best) or a nice British cup of tea. Also e German scnaps could
do, but in the last instance be careful afterwards with your source code.
I will try to see what I manage to do. I will have to do several tries before I
come back......

sigbj-