SV: SV: /dev/kbd ..."not a device file..."

From: sigbj-st
Subject: SV: SV: /dev/kbd ..."not a device file..."
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:09:46 +0100 (CET)

Upon installation of K7 error messages......'error processing locales
nb_NO.ISO-8859-1....'
                                                             .....'returned
error 138............'
                                                             .....'1632 Bus
error....1897 Bus error......
Also freeze and hang of whole system when harddisk stop/pause sound is heard (I
have learned what that tiny sqeeke is.)

What I usually have to do is to start all over again:
.....'mke2fs -b 2048 -L hurd_K7 -o hurd /dev/hdc7....' on a 1024 MB size
partition
Then use the CD1 and boot with bf24 kernel, only us-keyboard is
admitted,initialize and activate swappartition of approx 512 MB, install
basesystem,reboot single user .native-install...and a seconf reboot single user
./native-install again, reboot multiuser and make necessary devicefiles, reboot
to linux and copy complete ready-made fstab_K7 to mount hurd partition
/etc/fstab,reboot hurd.....and now everuthing is fine for further installation.

Choosing nb_NO.UTF-8 (?) gives better installation float but still errors, but
now I am able to get all the way through /upgrade/install.sh and gui.sh to the
end of installation and X-directory is set up in such a way that at least the
prompt can find and accept 'startx'. Now I am close..............Startx gives
hang as previously,but at least I have the X-config ready, and I now try out
M.Gerards commandline.

Upon Marco Gerards 'console -d vga..............' the machine will not accept
the command typing and refers to '--help' section ----------strange!
Is the 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH......' still necessary? I would not expect this
stopping the console command to get a console for X

This last installation I chose 1. Dialog interface instead of Gnome and Kde
since the latter two caused error messages. Thiese choices are presented during
the first or second boot nativ-install.

Thats it for now, for whoever who has time and interest to read and answer some
of this.

Thanks.
 sigbj,Norway.