Re: Booting the HURD and other issues including logging in

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Booting the HURD and other issues including logging in
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:32:57 +0100 (MET)

   In answer to your questions, no I can not do those things. I can't
   even login, let alone display the password file, passwd.

>From your message I understood that you had gotten the login prompt.

   To do those things, I would need to actually reinstall everything
   and start all over again. Which I am doing now.

Since I understand your problem a bit better now, maybe I can give
better advice.  This sounds awfully similar to the bug in crosshurd
(check the Debian BTS for exact details) where it doesn't copy the
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files.  Since Robert probobly used
crosshurd to create that tar-ball, it is quite possible that those
files weren't copied correctly.  The solution is to copy
/share/base-passwd/passwd.master to /etc/passwd, and
/share/base-passwd/group.master to /etc/group.  Could you see if that
helps?

Cheers.