Re: "large" partitions support ?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: "large" partitions support ?
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:14:58 +0200

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:23:26PM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> Wolfgang Jährling <wolfgang@pro-linux.de> writes:
>
> > I fail to see an indication for progress.  What exactly are you
> > refering to?
>
> Fixes to libstore (or was it libdiskfs?) half a year or so back, which
> I think were claimed to be needed for any solution to the 1GB problem.
> I was also thinking of the recent hacks to get a 64-bit off_t into
> various rpc calls, but perhaps that's independent.

It's independent, but part of a larger roadmap.  The long goal is to have
full support of long files on large stores.  What we have achieved so far is
support large stores (libstore should be 64 bit clean), and recently large
file support (this was the interface change that is almost completed) has
been done half way through.  What is missing is replacing io_map so you can
map parts of files over 4gb in size, and of course having filesystems that
support large filesystem images and files.

fatfs apparently already supports large filesystems, but I don't think it
can support large files without changes in diskfs.  For other filesystems,
changing in these filesystems and diskfs need to be done.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/