Re: rust: where is cargo?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: rust: where is cargo?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:02:33 +0100

Hi Todor!

Todor Kondić 写道:
I have been playing with rust and the first thing I noticed with the guix installation is that there is no cargo.

There is, in the (as you note) cargo output:

 $ guix install rust:cargo
 $ type cargo
 cargo is /home/nckx/.guix-profile/bin/cargo
 $ realpath `command -v cargo`
 /gnu/store/krn8958...-rust-1.46.0-cargo/bin/cargo
$ cargo search guix guix = "0.1.0" # Cross Platform Gui Library
 # wait whut no

I think we'll need more details to know why/what doesn't work for you.

How did you install and test cargo?

More accurately, there is indeed an output of the rust package called "cargo" and there are entries for cargo with bin paths in the store, but nothing that ends up in the PATH variable (etc/profile).

Then your configuration is broken somehow: something is messing with Guix's $PATH.

Do you modify $PATH anywhere, for example in your .bash_profile?

I know that guix approach is to replace package managers

I don't think that's true.

Kind regards,

T G-R