Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's desktop?

From: Bonface M. K.
Subject: Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's desktop?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 02:27:09 +0300

Hi Hartmut!

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com>
writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use a Guix profile containing some GUI programs (esp.
> ungoogle-chromium) as part of my foreign distro's desktop environment.

You'd just run "guix install <pkg-name>". FWIW, I
use Guix as my daily driver(but running on
ArchLinux)

> What is the correct way for doing so? What needs to be installed in the
> profile to make this work smoothly?

What I do is to ensure that I have the path to the
Guix binaries configured properly:

export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"

Best to have that as part of your .zshrc or
.bashrc file. So whenever you install the GUI
apps(for example-- in my case-- I use Emacs), your
system first checks for it in your guix path.

HTH!
--
Bonface M. K. <https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com>
Humble GNU Emacs User / Bearer of scheme-y parens