Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's desktop?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Integrate Guix GUI programs into foreign distro's desktop?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 15:25:31 +0100

Am 07.12.20 um 12:32 schrieb Bonface M. K.:
In that case, you'd just modify the path to point
to your profile's bin. Another way would be to
source the <your-profile>/etc/profile which
basically set's all these paths for you.

This is what I would expect, but this is not the case. E.g. when installing "dino", a GTK application providing .desktop file, XDG_DATA_DIRS is not defined in $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/etc/profile (same for a profile)

$ guix environment --ad-hoc dino

# Proof dino "somehow" has a search-path definition
$ grep -E 'XDG|GTK' $(which dino)
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=…
export GTK_PATH=…

# Proof environment has a "share" directory and there are .desktop files
$ ls -F $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT
bin@  etc/  include@  lib/  manifest  share/
$ ls -F $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/share/applications/
im.dino.Dino.desktop@  mimeinfo.cache@

# Proof XDG_DATA_DIR is not set for the environment
$ grep -E 'XDG|GTK' $GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/etc/profile
$  # no results

Wrt QT, I'm not exactly sure how to help with
that. I barely use applications that use QT(most
of the things I run use GTK).

As shown above, this does not always hold even for GTK applications.

The variables defined in the
<my-profile>/etc/profile set the correct paths wrt
your actual profile...

Have you installed gtk+ in your profile? This package is the one defining search-path GUIX_GTK3_PATH.

(When installing gtk+ in my environment/profile, I also get GUIX_GTK3_PATH defined. gtk+ propagates atk, which propagates glib, which defines search-path XDG_DATA_DIR - which is why XDG_DATA_DIR is also defined in the etc/profile.)

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |