Re: Guix VM can't connect to the Internet

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix VM can't connect to the Internet
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 20:54:14 -0400

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 06:19:43PM +0200, Philip K. wrote:
> But `guix package pull` wouldn't work, because no connection could be
> established. Running `ping` on any server, would just inform me of
> dropped packets, `ip link set eth0 up` wouldn't change anything.

Can you give the exact command line you used to launch QEMU when it did
not work?

I tested the official Guix QEMU image [0] using the instructions in our
manual section Running Guix in a Virtual Machine [1] and I could
successfully do `guix download http://example.com`.

Note that `ping` (ICMP) does not work in QEMU when using '-net user'.
So, don't use `ping` to test the network in QEMU. Use `guix download`
instead since that will always be available.

If it still doesn't work after following the instructions in the manual,
please let us know the results of `qemu-system-x86_64 --version` and
`uname -a`. Also let us know if you are using a firewall or anything
like that.

Happy to help,
Leo

[0]