Re: Guix on a foreign distro (Mint) - List of packages is outdated and n

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Guix on a foreign distro (Mint) - List of packages is outdated and not updatable
Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 19:57:13 -0700

melon <address@hidden> writes:

> 'echo $PATH'
> Gave me a very messy output. Apparently things like '.guix-profile/bin',
> '.guix-profile/sbin' and '/usr/bin' were all shown multiple times. I
> changed it to the following (by editing ~/.bashrc):
>
> export
> PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/bin:$HOME/.guix-profile/sbin:$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$HOME/.bin/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
>
> After restarting BASH and running 'guix pull', all my packages are
> once again up to date. Thank you again!

I'm glad to hear this solved your problem.  I just wanted to add some
information you might find useful.  When using Guix, you do not need to
set the PATH explicitly like this, but there is no harm in doing so if
you want to.  You can also write something like this instead:

  GUIX_PROFILE="$HOME/.guix-profile"
  . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

Whenever Guix generates a profile, by default a "profile hook" will run
that generates this etc/profile file.  This file contains shell commands
which set up all the environment variables you need in order to
"activate" the profile.  This includes PATH.  The nice thing about this
is that if you source this file in a place like ~/.bash_profile (or
similar), then whenever you log in, you'll always get the right
environment variables for your profile, regardless of what software
you've installed.

On a Guix System, both your $HOME/.guix-profile and
$HOME/.config/guix/current profiles will be "activated" automatically in
this manner (see: /etc/profile), but on a foreign distro, you have to do
this yourself by adding the appropriate lines to a shell start-up file.

I hope that perhaps this information helps simplify your configuration!

--
Chris