Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:48:32 -0800

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your patience!

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm not sure what you mean by "Guix checkouts".  Do you mean a Git
>> checkout of Guix's Git repository?  If so, why would deleting it help?
>
> Well, I meant what I wrote in the example below

OK.  Since that example deletes profile generations, Can we just say
"profile generations" instead of "checkouts"?  The latter makes me think
of a Git repository checkout.  Maybe the phrase "cleaning up old
profiles" would be good enough, since we put a clear example right after
the sentence.  I wouldn't mind either way, as long as we avoid using the
term "checkout" to refer to profiles and their generations.

>> guix package --profile=~s --delete-generations=1m
>> (string-append (config-directory #:ensure? #f) "/current")
>
> It deletes the old ~/.config/guix/ profiles.  If I'm not wrong, each of those
> profiles consume a couple of 100MBs.
>
> So if "checkout" is confusing, what about "Guix copy" instead?
>
> See "(guix) Invoking guix pull" in the manual for terminology.
>
>> "You might also want to delete old non-default profiles pointed to by
>> the symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots/auto (broken symlinks in this
>> directory will be automatically removed)."
>
> I like it better!  I'll use your suggestion.

OK!  Could you submit a new patch?

Thank you for helping to improve the "user experience"!

--
Chris