Re: Guidance to contributing

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guidance to contributing
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 20:52:56 +0100

Hi guy fleury,

> So,i would like to help in packaging and i want to know what caracteristics
> of choosing package to packaged?
> should be just a free software?

If you want some inspiration there’s a package wishlist here:

   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist

The packages listed there might not all be easy to package, so it could
be good to start with something simpler.  We have importers that can
recursively generate package definitions from online repositories such
as Pypi, CRAN, CPAN, hackage/stackage, etc.

You may also find this tutorial useful:

   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/

All software provided through Guix must be Free Software.

> I currently learn scheme and guile api.i hope i will contribute in the
> future.

Great!  Feel free to ask questions on the #guix IRC channel on Freenode,
or here on help-guix.

--
Ricardo