Re: getting started with guix import nix

From: Paul Garlick
Subject: Re: getting started with guix import nix
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:33:09 +0000

I have tried updating my local  <nixpkgs> directory with 'nix-channel --update'.

No change; the full nix-instantiate command does not terminate.

The git commit of <nixpkgs> (in /home/paul/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs/.version-suffix) is now 497e6d2.

Also, if I remove '--strict' from the nix-instantiate command I get:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<expr>
  <derivation>
    <repeated />
  </derivation>
</expr>

Terse! but at least the process completes.

I have noticed that the non-termination problem is not confined to the opencascage_oce package.  If I try

$ nix-instantiate --strict --eval --xml -A guile /home/paul/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs

that does not terminate either.

Best,

Paul.