Re: getting started with guix import nix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: getting started with guix import nix
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:43:50 +0100

Hi!

Paul Garlick <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have noticed that the non-termination problem is not confined to the
> opencascage_oce package. If I try
>
> $ nix-instantiate --strict --eval --xml -A guile
> /home/paul/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixpkgs
>
> that does not terminate either.

Does it just take long, or does it simply not terminate?

I get:

$ time NIX_REMOTE=daemon nix-instantiate -A guile /data/src/nixpkgs --strict
--eval --xml | wc -c
trace: lib.zip is deprecated, use lib.zipAttrsWith instead
trace: `mkStrict' is obsolete; use `mkOverride 0' instead.
trace: `types.list' is deprecated; use `types.listOf' instead
7786158

real    0m0.668s
user    0m0.348s
sys     0m0.160s
$ (cd /data/src/nixpkgs/; git describe)
release-16.03-start-8750-gdde259d
$ nix-instantiate --version
nix-instantiate (Nix) 1.11.2

As you can see it produces 7 MiB of XML data, but that’s pretty fast.

HTH,
Ludo’.