help-gss

Re: Debian upload of gss 0.1.0

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Debian upload of gss 0.1.0
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:22:40 -0700

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> gss 0.1.0 increments the shared library version from 0 to 1 so I need to
> learn how to deal with library transitions.  Fortunately, none of the
> gss packages have any reverse dependencies in lenny, so I think it is
> sufficient to just make upgrades work properly, right?

Yup.

> Looking at the package contents, libgss1 needs to conflict with libgss0
> because (sigh!) the gss.mo files.

Now's probably the time to move those files out of libgss1 into a separate
support package.  This is required by Policy 8.2 for exactly this reason:

    If your package contains files whose names do not change with each
    change in the library shared object version, you must not put them in
    the shared library package. Otherwise, several versions of the shared
    library cannot be installed at the same time without filename clashes,
    making upgrades and transitions unnecessarily difficult.

I think the right thing to do is to move them into a separate package that
conflicts with libgss0 and then have libgss1 depend on that package.  The
dependency resolution should then sort everything out.  The next time
there's an upgrade, people who have both libraries installed for the
transition may get the wrong translations for the older library, but
that's a relatively minor problem.

> libgss-dev and libgss-dbg also needs to conflict with their earlier
> version, but the earlier versions of those packages depend on libgss0,
> and the new versions of libgss-dev/libgss-dbg depends on libgss1, so
> that should work automatically, doesn't it?

Yup, that should work automatically.

> Or is it a good idea to add a conflicts anyway?

The tight dependency is enough.

> Finally, lintian complains:
>
> W: libgss-dbg: unknown-section debug

Yeah, this will be fixed in the next version of Lintian.  Sorry about
that.  You can ignore it.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>