help-gss

Debian upload of gss 0.1.0

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Debian upload of gss 0.1.0
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:50:20 +0200

Hi Russ.  gss 0.1.0 now uses symbol versioning, addressing your (I
believe) remaining comment on the debian packaging.  So I'm now _really_
going to upload new gss debian packages.  Finally..

gss 0.1.0 increments the shared library version from 0 to 1 so I need to
learn how to deal with library transitions.  Fortunately, none of the
gss packages have any reverse dependencies in lenny, so I think it is
sufficient to just make upgrades work properly, right?

Looking at the package contents, libgss1 needs to conflict with libgss0
because (sigh!) the gss.mo files.  libgss-dev and libgss-dbg also needs
to conflict with their earlier version, but the earlier versions of
those packages depend on libgss0, and the new versions of
libgss-dev/libgss-dbg depends on libgss1, so that should work
automatically, doesn't it?  Or is it a good idea to add a conflicts
anyway?

Finally, lintian complains:

W: libgss-dbg: unknown-section debug
N:
N:    The "Section:" field in this package's control file is not one of the
N:    sections in use on the ftp archive. Valid sections are currently admin,
N:    comm, devel, doc, editors, electronics, embedded, games, gnome,
N:    graphics, hamradio, interpreters, kde, libdevel, libs, mail, math, misc,
N:    net, news, oldlibs, otherosfs, perl, python, science, shells, sound,
N:    tex, text, utils, web, and x11.
N:
N:    The section name should be preceded by "non-free/" if the package is in
N:    the non-free distribution, and by "contrib/" if the package is in the
N:    contrib distribution.
N:
N:    Refer to Debian Policy Manual section 2.4 (Sections) for details.
N:
N:    Severity: normal, Certainty: certain

I understand the latest versions of lintian/debian-policy are older than
when the 'debug' section was added, so it seems this warning could be
ignored?

/Simon