Re: grub crashes and restarts after an update

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: grub crashes and restarts after an update
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:01:18 +0100

On 03/02/2024 at 20:09, Ishai Asa wrote:

I'm using the Debian testing distribution. Few days ago a new grub version
was pushed and I installed it, all seemed well as per usual updates.

The Debian GRUB version is heavily patched, so it may be worth filing a bug in the Debian bug tracking system.

During the update it asked whether to keep overwriting a few grub scripts.

Did you choose to keep the existing files or replace with the new ones ?

Maybe that has to do with grub customizer gui?

I must warn agains grub-customizer, I have seen it ruin GRUB config beyond repair several times.

After the restart the grub bootloader menu shows for a fraction of a second
and restarts.
I'm able to boot to windows through the BIOS boot chooser.
I tried using a boot repair disk , but it did not help.

I also warn against automated boot repair tools, you never know what they really do and can make things worse.

Does GRUB boot in legacy BIOS or EFI mode ?

If you can see GRUB menu, the culprit may be related with the boot config.
Launch any live system, rename /boot/grub.grub.cfg and reboot. You should see GRUB version and prompt. Which version is it ? Relaunch the live system, recreate /boot/grub/grub.cfg with only a section of the original grub.cfg, reboot and if it works add another section and so on until you find the section which causes the reboot.