Change Full Disk Encryption Password Prompt Font and/or Background Image

From: Cullen Ross
Subject: Change Full Disk Encryption Password Prompt Font and/or Background Image (stage 1)?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:56:15 -0400

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here, so I apologize if this has been answered before
or if I'm not properly following etiquette.

I've recently set up my laptop for full disk encryption, so when I start my
machine, I'm greeted by GRUB's password prompt. Additionally, I've been
theming grub to match a universal font and background image that I have. So
far, I have everything set up the way I want except for the initial
password prompt (I believe this is considered to be stage 1 of GRUB?). I'm
trying to change the font from the default one so that it matches the font
I've set everywhere else. Is it possible to change it? The only resource
I've found that talks about changing stage 1 settings is here:
https://superuser.com/questions/974833/change-the-keyboard-layout-of-grub-in-stage-1
. Obviously this wasn't quite helpful because I'm not changing keyboard
layouts. Could someone explain how to change the stage 1 password prompt
font if it's possible? I've also tried replacing the system installed
`unicode.pf2` with the font I want (renamed to unicode.pf2) and then
reinstalling grub with `grub-install` but that didn't work.

Additionally, if it's possible to set a background image at stage 1 could
someone explain how to do that as well?

Thank you so much for any and all assistance!
Best,
Cullen