Possible bug in powerpc-ieee1275 ofnet

From: David Huffman
Subject: Possible bug in powerpc-ieee1275 ofnet
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 12:17:41 -0800

When network booting using a boot server without a chroot jail, I need the
$prefix variable to be set to the full path of the tftp directory. I create the
core boot file with the following flags.

grub-mkimage -o /tmp/netboot.elf -O powerpc-ieee1275 -p "" -d
/usr/local/lib/grub/powerpc-ieee1275 tftp net ofnet configfile echo linux
normal search

I am using grub-2.04 compiled from source.

I leave the prefix (-p) empty so that when booted, prefix will get set to the
same as $cmdpath. In the case of i386-pc-pxe and x86_64-efi, the $prefix
variable is set to the tftp boot path. However, on powerpc-ieee1275 the prefix
is only set to the tftp and server.

From the grub shell I check the value of $prefix.

x86_64-efi
echo $prefix
(tftp,10.10.0.10)/var/lib/tftpboot

i386-pc-pxe
echo $prefix
(tftp,10.10.0.10)/var/lib/tftpboot

powerpc-ieee1275
echo $prefix
(tftp,10.10.0.10)

The dhcpd.conf and tftp configuration is exactly the same in this test. If my
tftp server is in a chroot jail, this is a non-issue. However, I plan to
netboot systems from non-linux boot servers where I will NOT be in a chroot
jail. I know I could hardcode the prefix using the -p flag, but the tftp boot
path is not known at the time the core image is created.

Is this a bug or expected behavior?

Thank you,
David