Re: getting grub's view of disk geometry from "grub rescue>" prompt?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: getting grub's view of disk geometry from "grub rescue>" prompt?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 00:15:58 +0100

Le 16/03/2019 à 00:00, Nathan Stratton Treadway a écrit :
On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 21:54:27 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

You can try dichotomy. Create a partition starting at 50% of the size.
Mount it and install GRUB using the mount point as boot directory :

grub-install --boot-directory=<mount-point> /dev/xxx

If GRUB boots in normal mode, repeat at 75%. If it boots in rescue
mode, repeat at 25%. And so on.

Unfortunately I don't think that procedure will work reliably, because
grub could boot fine from a bigger-than-the-unknown-threshold partition
if the /boot directory contents happened to be installed early in the
partition... but then later fail to boot against that that same
partition if the files got moved near the end of the filesystem.

You are misinterpreting what I wrote. It is about the starting position, not the size. If the partition starting at X% of the disk size works, it means that the threshold is at least X%.
You can use a small test partition, 100 MB in more than enough for GRUB.