Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: David H. Durgee
Subject: Re: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 09:03:51 -0400

John Little wrote:
ubiquity... It also appears that it does allow me to tell it not to install a
boot loader at all when invoked from a terminal session
You can, start ubiquity in a terminal with the -b switch; if booted to kde:

/usr/bin/ubiquity -b kde_ui

That's not documented at man ubiquity, but I've done it.

Regards, John Little
I am now in the process of configuring sylvia on my multiboot system for use in place of my maya partition.

To accomplish this I first created a logical partition for sylvia with DFSee and then used mkfs to format it jfs from my maya system. I next booted the sylvia Live DVD, opened a terminal window and then executed "ubiquity -b" as suggested. I selected my swap partition and new sylvia root partition and did the installation.

Once the install completed I rebooted the system and from a grub prompt manually booted sylvia. I went through the initial setups and updates there. After completing these I then ran:

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda15
sudo update-grub

I then restarted the system and was then able to start sylvia directly from IBM Boot Manager.

Finally I ran:

sudo chattr +i /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

Per Arch Linux Wiki GRUB Tips & Tricks this should prevent the critical blocklist for GRUB from being modified and breaking GRUB.

Hopefully this will help anyone else in a similar situation with current mint distros.

Dave