problem installing grub to linux mint partition

From: David H. Durgee
Subject: problem installing grub to linux mint partition
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 20:24:23 -0400

I am encountering problems attempting to install grub on a linux mint 18.3 (sylvia) partition on a multi-boot system.  When booting the live DVD and invoking its installer the partition is not listed as a target to install grub.

I opened a terminal window and attempted to manually install grub with the following results:

sudo grub-install -v /dev/sda15
grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `aufs'.
grub-install.real (GRUB) 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14+linuxmint1

Seeing the reference to grub-probe in the above error, I tried running that manually:

sudo grub-probe -v -d /dev/sda15
jfs

So grub-probe sees the partition, which is formatted with jfs, but grub-install.real isn't happy for some reason.

Where do I go from here?

Dave