Re: Safely removing unused Grub2 from MBRs & boot sectors, veirfying sti

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Safely removing unused Grub2 from MBRs & boot sectors, veirfying still bootable?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 00:04:04 +0200

address@hidden schreef op 15-04-2017 21:33:

I want to REMOVE Grub2 from:

-- the boot sectors of the raid disks' partitions, /dev/sda1 & /dev/sdc1
        -- the MBR of the nonOS, additional drive, /dev/sdb

That's curious, I have just no idea what the format is of the partition-boot-records :p.

I guess for the sdb backing up the partition table, using a partition tool, then wiping the first sector and restoring the partition table would at least remove boot.img.

It's curious how little I know :p.

Regards.

And,  most importantly, I want to make sure that the system still
boots after, using "just" the MBR-installed Grub info on the RAID
disks.

Pretty sure that won't be a problem though.

If filesystems tend to start at the 2nd sector of a partition (do they?) you could just wipe the partition 'boot sector' if that is the first sector of a partition.

LVM PV installs itself to the 2nd sector by default. LUKS however seems to install itself in the first.