Safely removing unused Grub2 from MBRs & boot sectors, veirfying still b

From: albion
Subject: Safely removing unused Grub2 from MBRs & boot sectors, veirfying still bootable?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 12:33:05 -0700

Now that I've got *install* figure out, and an upgraded BIS that reports my
system info correctly ...

I want to remove Grub2 from a couple of places on a system.  After reading a
bunch of 3rd party posts about it I'm 100% sure it's possible to BADLY screw
this up.

So I'm gonna <noob>ASK!</noob> here.

My system runs Grub2.  The OS is on a RAID-1 array.

        cat /proc/mdstat
                Personalities : [raid1]
                md0 : active raid1 sdc1[1] sda1[0]
                      1048512 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
                      bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

                md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdc2[1]
                      487205888 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
                      bitmap: 3/4 pages [12KB], 65536KB chunk

I've also got an additional drive used for LVM mounts.

I want to LEAVE Grub2 installed in the MBRs for the raid disks, /dev/sda &
/dev/sdc

I want to REMOVE Grub2 from:

        -- the boot sectors of the raid disks' partitions, /dev/sda1 & /dev/sdc1
        -- the MBR of the nonOS, additional drive, /dev/sdb

And,  most importantly, I want to make sure that the system still boots after,
using "just" the MBR-installed Grub info on the RAID disks.

What's the recommended process for removing that unused data and verifying that
I'll still be bootable?

JerryG

Fyi, 'bootinfoscript' currently reports

        cat ~/RESULTS.txt
                                  Boot Info Script 0.76      [13 April 2017]

                ============================= Boot Info Summary:
===============================

                 => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks
at sector 1 of
                    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this
location and looks
                    for (mduuid/f36d5988500d33cd1434cb8824a14c13)/grub2. It
also embeds
                    following components:

                    modules

                    fshelp ext2 part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x biosdisk

                 => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks
at sector 1 of
                    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this
location and looks
                    for (mduuid/f36d5988500d33cd1434cb8824a14c13)/grub2. It
also embeds
                    following components:

                    modules

                    fshelp ext2 part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x biosdisk

                 => Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc and looks
at sector 1 of
                    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this
location and looks
                    for (mduuid/f36d5988500d33cd1434cb8824a14c13)/grub2. It
also embeds
                    following components:

                    modules

                    fshelp ext2 part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x biosdisk

                sda1:

                    File system:       linux_raid_member
                    Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00)
                    Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the
boot sector of
                                       sda1 and looks at sector 290367 of the
same hard drive
                                       for core.img, but core.img can not be
found at this
                                       location.

                sda2:

                    File system:       linux_raid_member
                    Boot sector type:  -
                    Boot sector info:

                sdb1:

                    File system:       LVM2_member
                    Boot sector type:  -
                    Boot sector info:

                sdc1:

                    File system:       linux_raid_member
                    Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00)
                    Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the
boot sector of
                                       sdc1 and looks at sector 290367 of the
same hard drive
                                       for core.img, but core.img can not be
found at this
                                       location.

                sdc2:

                    File system:       linux_raid_member
                    Boot sector type:  -
                    Boot sector info:

                md1:

                    File system:       LVM2_member
                    Boot sector type:  -
                    Boot sector info:

                md0:

                    File system:       ext4
                    Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00)
                    Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the
boot sector of
                                       md0 and looks at sector 290367 of the
same hard drive
                                       for core.img, but core.img can not be
found at this
                                       location.
                    Operating System:
                    Boot files:        /grub2/grub.cfg /grub2/i386-pc/core.img