Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header

From: Xen
Subject: Re: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:53:33 +0100

Maxim Fomin schreef op 11-02-2017 19:09:

Well, this explains me your line of thinking. Sure, prober cannot
detect required
parameters for plain dm-crypt, but this is theoretically impossible,
so why bother?

Either user supplies command with dm-crypt parameters into config file
or executes
manually during the boot. What is the problem here?

My apologies, I suspected there was a misunderstanding, but I thought Andrei was mainly talking about the generation phase, and not the execution.

To me it seems unlikely that it would be theoretically impossible for a grub module to use dm-crypt, but I suspect Andrei was mainly talking about (a) the existing cryptomount module and (b) the generation phase.

That leaves (c) the manual configuration though a module (another module, perhaps) that Maxim requires (or desires) as an option, right?

Meaning, if the plain (existing) cryptomount module does not and could not support it, then the suggestion of another module would of course cover the use case, right?

I mean the plain (or existing) module.

However I believe Maxim suggests that it is hard to find technical grounds for this limitation in the existing cryptomount?

Regardless, either Maxim's usecase would be possible with an extra module (the generation phase is not required) or potentially, if at all possible, with the existing module.

I do not wish to meddle with your dialogue, I only sought to see if there was maybe some misunderstanding still.

Regards, Bart.