Re: grub2 and qemu

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub2 and qemu
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 19:31:32 +0300

20.01.2017 03:16, Shaun Reitan пишет:

> I am now wanting to do the same thing with QEMU/KVM. It looks like grub
> has a platform for i386-qemu and i've tried to just swap that part out
> of the grub-mkstandalone process.
> When i start the guest and attach to the conole all i see is the system
> looping over and over in the seabios. I never see anything about grub.
> Was hoping one of you could give me a push in the right direction.

i386-qemu works on bare "metal" and replaces BIOS. The following works
for me

address@hidden:~/build/grub$ pkgdatadir=$PWD ./grub-mkstandalone
-O i386-qemu -d grub-core -o grub.qemu --modules="at_keyboard"
address@hidden:~/build/grub$ qemu-system-x86_64 -bios ./grub.qemu

There were reports that ATA disk access which GRUB is using in this case
is slow compared with BIOS. You may consider building grub for coreboot
platform and adding it to seabios (there is article on coreboot wiki how
to do it).