grub2 and qemu

From: Shaun Reitan
Subject: grub2 and qemu
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 00:16:45 +0000

On our existing Xen platform we are using a grub2 image that we built to boot a virtual server. The virtual server has a single disk that is not partitioned, it just has a filesystem on it. Currently the grub2 image we built looks for the existing grub2 config files on that disk and then runs them. This allows the virtual servers to run whatever kernel they want. I did this by doing the following...

mkdir -p boot/grub cat > boot/grub/grub.cfg << EOF for grubcfg in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub2/grub2.cfg /boot/grub/grub2.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg /grub2/grub2.cfg /grub/grub.cfg /etc/grub2.cfg /etc/grub.cfg ; do if search -s -f $grubcfg ; then echo "Reading (${root}$grubcfg" configfile $grubcfg fi done EOF /opt/grub2/bin/grub-mkstandalone -O x86_64-xen -o grub2-x86_64.gz boot/grub/grub.cfg

I am now wanting to do the same thing with QEMU/KVM. It looks like grub has a platform for i386-qemu and i've tried to just swap that part out of the grub-mkstandalone process. When i start the guest and attach to the conole all i see is the system looping over and over in the seabios. I never see anything about grub.
Was hoping one of you could give me a push in the right direction.
--
Shaun