RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:15:32 +0400

<address@hidden> wrote:

> >> And your grub version is?
> >>
> > 2.00
> >
> Current is 2.02~beta2.

> >> And it boots after that?
> >
> > No, on the laptop it boots to the console prompt, but does not accept
> > keyboard input

> >> I'm afraid I do not quite understand that. Could you be more verbose
> >>
> >> - what "standard uefi installation to usb stick" means?
> > The grub modules are in /EFI/BOOT/grub/X86_64 rather than embedded in
> > BOOTX64.EFI
> >

> Any reason you need to build your own image in the first place? And if
yes, what is the reason to include ata, ahci and all USB drivers?
> Please build image without them (i.e. ahci ata ehci ohci uhci usb_keyboard
- hopefully I did not miss something).

The reason is that I thought from google that was how things had to be done
for a dual bios/uefi CD/DVD boot. I included the USB drivers because on both
the dell laptop and the mac mini the CD/DVD drive is an external USB one.

Are you saying I should create an efiboot.img containing a minimal
BOOTX64.EFI (if so, what counts as minimal?) and the usual grub modules
under /EFI/BOOT/grub/X86_64 instead of embedding them in BOOTX64.EFI?