RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: Cannot boot from dual bios/uefi boot CD
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:44:20 +0400

<address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying the create a dual bios/uefi boot iso to burn to CD/DVD and
> > boot both bios and uefi.
> >

> And your grub version is?

2.00

> > The bios boot works fine
> > On two different machines, the uefi boot gets to the grub menu list:
> >
> > On a dell laptop choosing the grub menu item boots to the linux
> > console prompt, but will not accept any keyboard input
> > On a mac mini the boot hangs without error message after choosing the
grub menu
> > item.
> >
> > Note that in both cases, I can enter grub commands from the prompt and
> > can also edit the grub menu entries.
>
> And it boots after that?

No, on the laptop it boots to the console prompt, but does not accept
keyboard input

> >  In addition, both the bios and uefi boot are using the same vmlinuz and
initrd files.
> > Finally a more standard uefi installation to usb stick boots on both
machines without problems.

> I'm afraid I do not quite understand that. Could you be more verbose
>
> - what "standard uefi installation to usb stick" means?
The grub modules are in /EFI/BOOT/grub/X86_64 rather than embedded in
BOOTX64.EFI

> - do you use exactly the same kernel/initrd in both cases (CD and USB)?
Yes

> - do you use exactly the same kernel options in both cases?
Yes

> - where is kernel/initrd located in both case (boot media - CD/USB?
> External HDD? Anywhere else)?
/boot on both the CD and HDD

> - what happens if you do not use gfxterm and use pure console?
I didn't try this as the idea is to use gfxterm with Xfbdev to get the
native laptop screen resolution,
But I will try and report back

> In any case testing with current grub2 git master is always recommended.
Really? OK, I'll try that.