Re: Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib

From: Carl Turney
Subject: Re: Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:14:47 +1000

Hi Richard, Andrei, and Simon,

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Richard: I would have rewritten and resubmitted my question, but didn't get around to it.

Andrei: So, if I just changed that =one= line in /etc/default/grub the bootup system will automatically ignore all the UUID references (and somehow find the =correct= devices and partitions) in fstab, resume, and grub-mkconfig_lib -- and I don't even have to run update-grub2 ? Fascinating.

Simon: I see your fellow concerns about UUID, and maybe my discovery will be of some help to you. My own motivations for overcoming UUID were much more than one of convenience. PLEASE NOTE: My overriding of UUIDs are compensated by ALWAYS visually confirming device identities when put to use.

* * * * *

Basically, I got tired of writing to various forums, mailing lists, and individuals -- and not getting apparently-adequate responses.

So, I finally just created a scratch system, and tried my proposal (as outlined in the original post).

It seems to work. Whether I've performed an overkill, or have set a time bomb that will blow up in my face at some later date, I have no idea.

I just needed to get my systems working the way I wanted them to.

Cheers,

Carl Turney
Melbourne