Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 12:48:36 -0700

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM, SevenBits <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay, so I've tried this out and I am having difficulties. GRUB does
> not seem to be able to access any of the commands in the included
> modules. When I boot into GRUB, a bunch of errors scrolls past on the
> screen too quickly to read (though they appear to be about missing
> commands) and then I end up in the GRUB normal prompt.
>
> I've using the exact same configuration file that I'm using with
> grub-mkimage, except it doesn't work this time. I recall seeing
> something a while ago saying that modules are not automatically loaded
> when using grub-mkstandalone. If that's the case, then how would I
> activate them? When I get dropped into the prompt and type something
> like `insmod linux` it responds by saying that the module Linux was
> not found, even though I gave the command for it to be included.
>
> I've attached my grub.cfg file that I'm using. Perhaps someone could
> advise me as to what I'm doing wrong?

>From your grub.cfg:
set prefix=''

$prefix is the variable used by grub to find its modules, by setting
it to the empty string you prevent grub from being able to find the
modules.

You're also running "normal" in your grub.cfg, but grub is already in
normal mode when it's reading the grub.cfg.

Finally, while I can't find any cases where things would likely go
wrong as they are, please quote all your variable expansions, and
strings with sometimes-special characters for my sanity's sake :)

# The following is confusing, and may break in the future:
echo kernel path: ${kernel_path} | ramdisc path: ${initrd_path}

# More clear, and even in the future '|' won't be special here:
echo "kernel path: ${kernel_path} | ramdisc path: ${initrd_path}"

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)