Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:29:29 -0400

On 05/18/2014 06:30 PM, Jordan Uggla wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM, SevenBits
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On May 18, 2014, at 3:45 PM, Jordan Uggla
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I should have caught this earlier, before I replied off list as
>>> well, but your first reply to me was not CCd to help-grub.
>>> Please keep all messages CCd to help-grub so that others can
>>> benefit from the discussion (and don't see odd gaps from
>>> missing off-list context).
>>
>> My apologies. Thunderbird told me it was sending to this list.
>> :(
>>
>> Now, in regards to my question, here's what I'm using now (I
>> only need a few modules, *not* all of them, so the list is rather
>> short):
>>
>> grub-mkimage -d . --format x86_64-efi --config
>> '/home/user/Desktop/grub.cfg' -o ~/Desktop/boot.efi boot linux
>> ext2 normal configfile lspci ls loadenv help echo fat exfat hfs
>> hfsplus part_msdos part_gpt part_apple multiboot multiboot2
>> terminal sleep loopback normal fixvideo iso9660 loadbios
>> setvariable applesetos
>>
>> A couple of those are custom modules that I've patched in, but
>> that shouldn't really affect too much in the way of making the
>> image.
>>
>> I've looked at the grub-mkstandalone man page, and it is rather
>> sparse; it doesn't really even include examples of how to do
>> things like embedding a font file, or even including files. Could
>> you advise on how to properly invoke the command so that I can
>> get a similar result to the one above, but with an embedded font
>> file?
>
> grub-mkstandalone -o ~/Desktop/boot.efi --format=x86_64-efi
> --install-modules="boot linux ext2 normal configfile lspci ls
> loadenv help echo fat exfat hfs hfsplus part_msdos part_gpt
> part_apple multiboot multiboot2 terminal sleep loopback normal
> fixvideo iso9660 loadbios setvariable applesetos"
> /boot/grub/fonts/myfont.pf2=/path/to/myfont.pf2
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg='/home/user/Desktop/grub.cfg'
>
> The graft point syntax is
> /desired/path/within/memdisk=/path/in/current/execution/environment
> .

Okay, so I've tried this out and I am having difficulties. GRUB does
not seem to be able to access any of the commands in the included
modules. When I boot into GRUB, a bunch of errors scrolls past on the
screen too quickly to read (though they appear to be about missing
commands) and then I end up in the GRUB normal prompt.

I've using the exact same configuration file that I'm using with
grub-mkimage, except it doesn't work this time. I recall seeing
something a while ago saying that modules are not automatically loaded
when using grub-mkstandalone. If that's the case, then how would I
activate them? When I get dropped into the prompt and type something
like `insmod linux` it responds by saying that the module Linux was
not found, even though I gave the command for it to be included.

I've attached my grub.cfg file that I'm using. Perhaps someone could
advise me as to what I'm doing wrong?

For reference, here's the exact command I'm using:

../grub-mkstandalone -d . -o ~/Desktop/boot.efi --format=x86_64-efi
- --install-modules="boot linux ext2 normal configfile lspci ls loadenv
help echo fat exfat hfs hfsplus part_msdos part_gpt part_apple
multiboot multiboot2 terminal sleep loopback normal fixvideo iso9660
loadbios setvariable applesetos"
/boot/grub/fonts/myfont.pf2='/boot/grub/fonts/unicode.pf2'
/boot/grub/grub.cfg='/home/user/Desktop/grub.cfg'